As a member of the Corporate Communications Team, the Corporate Communications Specialist will be responsible for executing progressive public relations campaigns that highlight the quality and credibility of Capella as an innovative, competency-based degree provider.
The Corporate Communications Specialist will execute a public relations strategy that supports Capella’s business objectives and supports various customer initiatives while increasing brand equity and online awareness.
· Generate ideas to engage and maintain relationships with media, influencers, bloggers and other online communities at the local, regional and national level.
· Plan and manage integrated public relations and social media campaigns to amplify Capella’s story.
· Monitor and research industry news and media inquiries to craft thoughtful and quick responses.
· Write copy for key messages, op-eds, social media content, news releases and other documents with minimal supervision.
· Work closely with key internal business stakeholders, learners and alumni, to determine appropriate public relations’ strategies to support business objectives.
· Actively support marketing strategies through proactive media relations.
· Monitor and engage daily social media conversations regarding Capella University.
· Work closely with faculty and staff to identify news and points of differentiation about Capella that highlight the university’s credibility and leverage that information by turning it into effective content for both traditional and social media.
· Must have the willingness and ability to think beyond traditional PR tactics and strategies to design/execute innovative approaches.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or a business related field is required.
- 3+ years of experience in public relations or corporate communications;
- Excellent written communication skills;
- Experience creating original content for digital channels (blogs, social communities, etc);
- Project management skills and experience, including ability to manage complex projects and multiple priorities;
- Idea person who can also do the hands on work to complete a project;
- Resourceful individual who seeks creative solutions to complex challenges at times with limited information and under firm deadline;
- Experienced collaborator and communicator to effectively gain input and approvals from key stakeholders on messaging and communications materials;
- Ability to work quickly and effectively in a fast-paced environment and produce high quality results;
- Ability to embrace and cultivate change with focus on innovation and continuous improvement;
- Understanding the functionality of social media channels;
- Stays on top of industry trends and best practices.
225 S. 6th St., 9th Floor
Minneapolis, MN 55402
This is an on-site position located at Capella’s downtown Minneapolis headquarters. It requires the ability to work in downtown Minneapolis and in a high-rise corporate office setting. Typical of a corporate office setting, Capella’s office space:
- is designed with an open work space setting and common fluorescent lighting
- includes frequent co-worker interaction and corresponding noise levels
- is subject to inside environmental conditions
- this role is mainly a sedentary role with frequent sitting and occasional walking and/or standing.
- this role involves frequent usage of a telephone, PC and standard monitors.
- this role has minimal lifting requirements, may require exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects
Requires minimal (0–10 percent) business travel:
- may occasionally require travel to on-site Capella events such as Commencement or off-site Capella University leadership meetings as requested and based on business needs. All travel must be pre-approved and arrangements made according to Capella’s policies/procedures.
- the University’s general office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST. Work hours and starting times may vary depending on the job and the business needs. Some positions will have a specified starting time, and may be earlier or later, depending upon business requirements.
- the normally scheduled workweek for all full-time employees consists of 40-45 hours.
About Capella University
Capella University is an online university built on graduate degrees, with more than 35,000 students throughout the U.S. and in other countries. Founded in 1993 to provide advanced educational opportunities for working professionals, Capella has become a national leader in online education, offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs. The university's success is built upon a culture that promotes human potential, achievement, innovation, integrity, collaboration, and teamwork. Capella Education Company (CPLA), parent company of Capella University, is publicly traded on the NASDAQ. Capella Education Company was named to the Inc. 500 Hall of Fame for being listed as one of the nation's fastest-growing companies for 7 consecutive years. Capella University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, located at 230 S. LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1413, (312) 263-0456, www.ncahlc.org
Equal Employment Opportunity
Capella is committed to the development of a multicultural environment. We seek greater diversity in our faculty and staff to broaden our academic experience and to reflect the diversity within our learner community. We value the input of multiple viewpoints and perspectives across the university and our corporate offices. Our goal is to create academic and business communities that are rich with cultural, social and intellectual diversity. Capella is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Disabled and Protected Veteran employer. Visit the link below to access the EEO is the Law poster. http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf