ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities including serving as:
• the city's webmaster
• the employee intranet coordinator
• editor of the city's employee newsletter
• media relations assistant
• feature writer for city publications
• one of the city's top cheerleaders!
MINIMUM AND DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Pursuing a bachelor's degree with completed course work in any area of strategic communications, journalism or marketing
• Proficiency in MS Office Suite with emphasis on Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher
• Valid driver's license
• Ability to determine priorities, handle multiple tasks, and work independently with minimal supervision/direction
• Ability to present a professional, positive image and attitude
• Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with internal and external customers
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and compliance with Data Practices Act
• Ability to provide a level of customer service that meets/exceeds customer expectation and satisfaction
• Ability to professionally exhibit cultural sensitivity, patience, and understanding in the course of work duties Ability to relate to and work with individuals representing a variety of diverse backgrounds and cultures
Excellent creative writing skills and storyteller
Ability to embrace city's mission statement and core values and work them into all city communications
Strong knowledge of the Associated Press (AP) Style Guide
Computer Software/Website/Social Media
Previous experience designing, developing or maintaining web sites
Technical ability to work on a Mac or PC
Technical ability to run a professional video camera
Knowledge of graphics program Adobe In-Design
Knowledge of HTML
Knowledge of Final Cut Pro or Avid video editing software
Knowledge of social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
Knowledge of Search Engine Optimization and analytics
Strong interpersonal skills (an extrovert), with the ability to spark a conversation and make a person feel comfortable immediately
Enjoy meeting new, diverse people
Desire to learn new skills in a constantly changing field
Strong curiosity about what's happening in the world
Strong interest in how local government works
Previous experience working diverse populations
Fluency in Spanish, Hmong, Russian, Somali or Vietnamese language(s)
Core Operational Value Statements
Ability to work within the City's value system with a willingness to further promote a staff that is diversified and inclusive, where individuals are valued and respected for their unique differences, experiences, skills, and knowledge.
• TEAMWORK: Teamwork is the key to our success as an organization. Open communication allows all team members the opportunity to exchange information and opinions and acknowledge differences. We believe this will lead to sound decisions that demonstrate good judgment.
• RESPECT: Respect for each other and those we serve is necessary to allow us to function as an effective team. We strive to demonstrate considerations for each team member's input and accept each other as an individual.
• INTEGRITY: Integrity and honesty are essential to build trust, mutual respect and teamwork. Integrity includes maintaining high ethical standards and a sense of honor by character and actions.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Professionalism allows us to provide innovated and skilled services with the highest degree of excellence. We are dedicated professionals who are responsive to the needs of the diverse community we serve.
• PEOPLE: Each team member is valued for their contributions and leadership. We encourage growth, reward accomplishments, and create a healthy and balanced work environment.
SALARY RANGE: $11.00 an hour
ANTICIPATED HIRING WAGE: $11.00 an hour
ANTICIPATED WORK SCHEDULE: Part-time, six-month temporary, non-benefited position with a flexible work schedule of up to 20 hours a week. Does include night and weekend hours.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You must complete and attach the required written exam (see attached) as a PDF file to your online application by the posting end date in order to be considered for this position. Failure to attach the required written assignment will result in the rejection of your application.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
5200 85th Avenue North
Brooklyn Park, MN 55443