Corporate Communications Intern (Minneapolis, MN)-OPE00513
Summary: Provides support to Corporate Communications including community relations by working on a variety of projects, with an emphasis on writing and editing for a variety of styles, including news/editorial, promotion, advertising, employee communication, web-based and electronic communication and as playing the company mascot.
- Writes and edits copy that that supports Corporate Communications internal and external communication, including employee communications, Regulatory rate case communications, marketing, advertising, news releases, web copy and media relations initiatives.
- Works with media relations manager on pitching story ideas.
- Drafts stories and assists in the production of company internal news, a weekly company-wide electronic newsletter.
- Publishes and manages web content for internal and external audiences. May also work with SharePoint, a web-based collaboration tool.
- Supports preparation of web pages for migration to a new web platform, reviewing and updating content as needed.
- Updates the company intranet and Internet, as directed.
- Assists by providing content to the social media team with monitoring to customer postings, as well as proactive messages in support of company initiatives and community programs.
- Provides general assistance to project managers.
- Performs in costume as company Mascot at community events.
Education: Requires current enrollment in pursuit of an undergraduate degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing Communications, or another related field from an accredited college or university.
Experience: No prior work experience required.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, Licenses/Certifications, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics (KSLAPs):
- Able to demonstrate general knowledge of best practices in writing for a variety of styles.
- Able to demonstrate general knowledge of the Associated Press (AP) writing style.
- Able to demonstrate general knowledge of best practices in web writing.
- Able to develop web content from print copy.
- Able to communicate effectively to a wide range of audiences in written and oral form.
- Able to work effectively in a team oriented environment.
- Able to listen actively; clarify information as needed; convey understanding of the questions, instructions or comments of others and convey information in an appropriate manner.
- Able to work independently through the use of initiative and self-motivation.
- Able to use computer software including proficiency with word processing, email, graphics/presentations and any specialized products.
- Able to demonstrate strong customer service skills.
- Able to adapt quickly to changing demands and to demonstrate flexibility in the face of change or uncertainty.
- Able to interact with all levels of management and associates and perform well.
- Able to work with confidential information, materials and files in an appropriate, professional and discrete manner.
- Able to exercise tact, diplomacy and good judgment.
- Able to multi-task and manage several projects, activities or deadlines at one time.
- Able to read, speak, write and understand English.
- Able to demonstrate commitment to compliance with applicable laws and regulations, the Company’s Ethics and Compliance Code, and other Company policies and procedures, and take all required training courses.
- Able to demonstrate respect for all individuals and adhere to the Company’s values and business practices.
- Able to demonstrate the manual dexterity to operate a personal computer.
- Able to view personal computer monitor for long periods of time.
- Able to exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a minimal amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Able to perform in costume during hot temperatures in mascot costume.
- Able to operate a copy machine, fax machine, calculator, telephone, mobile phone and other office equipment.
- Able to see, hear, speak and distinguish colors.
- Able to communicate orally in a clear manner.
- Able to sit, stand or walk for extended periods of time and bend, stoop, squat and/or kneel occasionally.
- Able to work successfully in a fast paced office environment with a high volume workload and frequent short deadlines.
- Able to work indoors, in an office environment, regardless of whether cubicle, open office or private office.
- Able to work with minimal supervision and with multiple deadlines, schedules or timelines.
- Able to be highly dependable and reliable, including punctual and regular attendance.
- Able to support Emergency Operating Plan.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a), and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability.