A communications specialist for Osseo Area Schools has daily opportunities to build relationships with staff, students, media, and community members, all for the purpose of helping achieve our district’s bold mission for children.
We are looking for an extraordinary, energetic, flexible, and extremely organized team member who excels at storytelling and can plan strategically for how to tell those stories in a way that supports strong enrollment and builds trust with our community.
In this job, no day is the same. You might write for the web, take photos at a school, pitch a story to media, manage our social media accounts, help with crisis communication, or create a marketing plan. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: writing for electronic, print and verbal communication; media relations; marketing; photography (even better if you have some video skills); project coordination; and website and intranet content management.
Successful candidates can produce high-quality work under deadline. We offer competitive pay and benefits, not the least of which is being able to meet some amazing kids and extraordinary staff.
Proactively inform the public about Osseo Area Schools. Establish and maintain cooperative and supportive relationships with employees, prospective student families, media, and community members.
- Write for a variety of audiences, purposes and formats, including websites, print/electronic newsletters, news releases and other materials.
- Develop and coordinate updates to district-level website, intranet content and social media outlets.
- Photograph programs and events for publications, recognition and district promotion.
- Develop effective relationships with media and respond to media requests.
- Compile and effectively share news of student, staff, alumni, district and site achievements through varied and appropriate channels.
- Coordinate and implement various communications projects.
- Demonstrate cultural awareness and sensitivity in all communication.
Design and implement marketing strategies to support PreK-12 enrollment in Osseo Area Schools.
- Work with school/community relations director to identify specific marketing goals; develop and implement targeted marketing plans to achieve those goals.
- Use a wide range of communications vehicles to market Osseo Area Schools.
- Help identify and implement strategic marketing opportunities and partnerships.
- Publicize and manage on-site coordination of marketing events.
- Ensure marketing initiatives are fully integrated into all other system-level communication activities.
- Help schools/sites improve the way they present themselves in print, online and in person.
- Coordinate research and data collection to drive marketing decisions and solicit feedback on the integrated marketing communications programs.
Ensure communication with internal and external stakeholders is consistent, clear, positive, proactive and two-way.
- Meet regularly with school/community relations director to set and monitor marketing and communications goals and objectives.
- Regularly assess district communication efforts to ensure that goals are being met and any necessary adjustments and improvements are made.
Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in business communications, marketing, public relations, or related field, plus two to three years of related professional experience. Previous experience working in education and/or knowledge of the Osseo Area Schools community; experience in using social media to achieve public relations and/or marketing objectives.
Essential knowledge and/or skills required for performance of essential functions of the job:
- Proficient in setting public relations strategy.
- Resourceful, self-directed, responsible, problem solver and skilled communicator.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, and judgment skills. This includes the ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems; and to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions in order to choose the most appropriate one.
- Proficient in the use of current technology required for the performance of duties, including social media, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation software.
- Able to excel in a fast-paced environment and to handle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Must have a valid driver's license for regular travel among district buildings and outside of district.
- Must be willing and able to work occasional evening or weekend events, and/or after hours to complete tasks.
- Letter of interest that outlines why you believe you are qualified and a good match for this position
- Current resume
- Samples from previous work experience (all are required):
- Sample 1: News release or work-related news feature that may have been written for online format (blog, website, etc.)
- Sample 2: Communications or marketing plan (redacted versions are acceptable to protect client confidentiality); include description of the role you played in creating and implementing the plan.
- Sample 3: One additional communication piece you created in a previous position (e.g. flier, ad, brochure, web article, PSA, etc.); include description of the role you played in creating the communication.
Contract Length: Full-Time, 220-day work year
Application Deadline: March 24, 2017
Application Deadline: March 24, 2017
Salary: $46,000-$55,000, depending on qualifications, plus benefits