The primary duties and responsibilities of this position include:
- Provide strategic communication and public relations consulting services; generate ideas and help determine the best communication strategy and solution.
- Develop and implement communication plans; evaluate communication plan results, prepare reports, and make recommendations for future efforts.
- Craft communication plans, key messages and communication approaches for various topics and audiences; ensure communication is in accordance with county policy guidelines.
- Write, edit, prepare and produce a variety of public information/communication messages, distribute via appropriate internal and external communication channels.
- Identify gaps in communications, develop/recommend strategies, implement solutions, and present results to management.
- Manage the brand that is used on all communications; ensure consistency in messaging.
- Determine presentation materials and coach managers for presentations, public meetings and media interviews.
- Provide communication assistance during emergencies; collaborate with other agencies on local, statewide, regional and national emergencies.
- One of the following:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in journalism, English, communications, mass communications, marketing, media studies, graphic design, photojournalism, telecommunications, visual communications, public administration or a closely-related field and three years or more of related professional experience reporting or media relations.
- Two years of college and five years or more of related professional experience reporting or media relations.
- Note: Experience can be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
- Working in a large organizations (1,500 or more staff), the public sector, government, and/or human services.
- Developing and executing communication plans involving earned and paid media.
- Writing news and feature stories.
- Editing content.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships within all levels of the organization including a proven track record of excellent leadership skills.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to handle multiple assignments and tasks.
- Strong collaborative skills and the ability to communicate effectively with subject-matter experts, writers, editors, designers, photographers, and videographers.
- Ability to:
- Work well under the pressure of deadlines, sometimes outside regular business hours.
- Synthesize large amounts of information into manageable, well-written content.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates may be required to bring work samples and complete a background check.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.