- Role Summary
- Manage and implement MPRB photography services, email communications services and graphic design services. Responsible for taking captivating images and overseeing work of other photographers/videographers, for managing and enhancing email subscription services, for producing and writing content for select MPRB publications, and for overseeing work of graphic designers and visual branding.
- Performs under the general supervision of
the Communications and Marketing Director and is responsible for, but
not limited to, the following duties:
- Responsible for photo and video services for the MPRB, taking professional quality photographs and overseeing work of part-time photographers/videographers and freelance photographers to ensure images are in alignment with the mission and goals of the MPRB, positively feature MPRB activities and services, and reflect the diversity of Minneapolis residents and park users.
- Responsible for high quality graphic design services for the MPRB, overseeing work of freelance designers and part-time graphic production assistant(s) to ensure quality design and incorporation of visual brand elements in internal and external graphic materials. Provide basic design services, including updating of existing design files, as needed.
- Perform high quality production of select MPRB system-wide publications, including content and design concept development, production, and distribution. Determine publication format and technical specifications, develop production schedule and distribution lists, solicit print quotes, make design decisions, determine editorial content, create well-crafted content, select images, ensure appropriate level of review and edits by others, and conduct press checks as needed. Coordinate with internal staff, graphic designer and print vendor.
- Actively work with email subscription vendor and staff to ensure email subscription services are used appropriately and effectively organization wide. Establish and maintain effective working relationship with mail subscription vendor, monitor and assess account trends and data, assess new technology options, recommend service enhancements, and implement changes in a timely manner as approved.
- Effectively oversee administrator accounts and provide effective training to staff in multiple departments.
- Lead work direction of part-time graphic production assistant(s) and part-time photographers/videographers and provide both training and day-to-day work direction to ensure successful performance. Provide coordination with other departments and scheduling of projects.
- Participate on project teams with MPRB staff, contractors and others to coordinate, produce and deliver requested materials.
- Collaborate with the Communications and Marketing team on annual editorial calendar for photo, video and graphic design projects.
- Assist in the development of Communications and Marketing Department policies and procedures that promote best practices for the department and organization.
- Demonstrate political acumen.
- Assist in developing and managing professional services contracts for photo, graphic design and other related contracts.
- Develop and implement protocols to ensure high quality photos/images, that fully represent the breadth of the MPRB, are taken, processed and available in a timely manner.
- Develop visual style guides. Develop and implement protocols to ensure graphic design projects are submitted and completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure photo and graphic digital files are labeled and organized per department standards so they are easily accessible.
- Actively make recommendations for equipment and software solutions for photo/video services and graphic design services.
- Provide support for PowerPoint development for Superintendent and departmental presentations.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Ensure that the Americans with Disabilities Act regulations are met or exceeded where applicable.
- Incorporate technological best practice improvements in department functions and activities.
- Travel to and from various sites to perform job duties. Photo services require routine evening, holiday, and weekend hours.
- Keep the Director of Communication & Marketing promptly informed of matters as they relate to the department and MPRB.
- Perform other related duties as apparent or assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
Training and Experience (position requirements at entry)
- Bachelor Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, photojournalism, graphic design or related field.
- Professional work experience providing photography services: at least three (3) years.
- Professional work experience writing content for publications and coordinating production of publications: at least three (3) years.
- Professional work experience leading graphic design services: at least two (2) years.
- Professional work experience managing email subscription services: at least one (1) year preferred.
- Associates Degree from an accredited college with a major in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, photojournalism, graphic design or related field.
- Professional work experience providing photography services: at least five (5) years.
- Professional work experience writing content for publications and coordinating production of publications: at least five (5) years.
- Professional work experience leading graphic design services: at least four (4) years.
- Professional work experience managing email subscription services: at least three (3) year (preferred).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Standing, walking, sitting, driving, talking, seeing and repetitive motions.
Operating office equipment requiring continuous or repetitive hand/arm movements. The ability to remain in a sitting or standing position for extended periods of time.
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Requires transport of camera bag with equipment weighing approximately 30-40 pounds.
Most work is performed in an office environment with some travel required to other locations for meetings, trainings and indoor/outdoor photography sessions. Photo services require routine evening and weekend hours.
Knowledge of (position requirements at entry)
- Contemporary planning, organizational and communications skills.
- Computers and software applications used in business settings, communications and marketing, graphic design and photography (e.g. design, photo and video software and equipment, email subscription systems, social media platforms, word processing).
- Current laws, requirements, policies and other directives for public sector communications, including Federal Plain Language guidelines.
- Outstanding customer service principles and practices and standards for a diverse customer base.
- Occupational health and safety practices including OSHA / MNOSHA compliance.
- Successfully take captivating, high quality professional photographs and oversee the work of other photographers/videographers.
- Lead graphic services, including oversight of graphic designers, consistent use of brand elements, and development of style guides. Provide basic design services, including updating of existing files.
- Create original, timely, accurate and well-crafted content for publications and other special projects.
- Effectively lead production of publications, including design concepts, content development, production, printing and distribution.
- Schedule, prioritize, assign and evaluate work of staff and vendors.
- Analyze benchmarking data for email subscription services to optimize effectiveness.
- Accept direction and constructive feedback.
- Demonstrate strong organization, time management and project coordination skills.
- Work under minimal supervision, independently establish work direction, and work effectively within a team environment.
- Provide excellent oral communication that is easily understood and direct in its content.
- Listen effectively to thoroughly understand the intended message.
- Establish and maintain effective, respectful, and productive working relationships.
- Provide excellent customer service and maintain a service-oriented attitude.
- Demonstrate respect and sensitivity for cultural differences.
- Additional Information
- BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIREMENT:
A criminal background check is necessary for positions with this job title. Upon receiving a conditional offer of employment, the applicant will be asked to sign an informed consent allowing the Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board to obtain their criminal history in connection with the position sought. An applicant who does not sign the informed consent will not be considered for this position. View the background policy at: https://www.minneapolisparks.org/_asset/9585u2/2013BackgroundCheckPolicy.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants must complete an online application with supplemental questions at www.minneapolisparks.org/jobs. The selection process consists of a rating of training and experience based on application materials and supplemental questions (30%) and an oral exam (70%). Applicants are encouraged to be complete and thorough when filling out the application. The minimum passing score is 70.00. HR reserves the right to limit the number of people invited to subsequent testing events. Eligible list will expire in six (6) months.
The Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board is a tobacco free workplace and
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Service Department: Communications & Marketing
Accountable to: Director of Communications & Marketing
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Union Status: Non-represented
Wednesday, August 16, 2017
Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board - Digital Communications Representative
Posted by Unknown