The McKnight Foundation, a Minnesota-based family foundation, seeks to improve the quality of life for present and future generations. Program interests include regional economic and community development, Minnesota’s arts and artists, early literacy, youth development, Midwest climate and energy, Mississippi River water quality, neuroscience research, international crop research, and rural livelihoods. Founded in 1953 and independently endowed by William and Maude McKnight, the Foundation had assets of approximately $2.2 billion and granted about $87 million in 2016. For more information, visit www.mcknight.org.
Designated as a Great Place to Work® for its high-trust, high-performance workplace culture, 100% of McKnight employees say they’re proud to work here. Employees love our mission and the chance to take on meaningful, creative work alongside caring, talented colleagues in a beautiful location with great benefits. In addition, McKnight has been recognized as one of the nation’s best workplaces for women and one of the nation’s best small workplaces.
The newly created multimedia storyteller reports to the communications director. The position creates or oversees the development of varied digital content types and message channels to promote McKnight’s credible influence, share insights from our staff, and offer transparency and clarity about our goals and activities.
This is an exciting opportunity for an energetic, versatile, digitally-savvy storyteller to design and create web and social media-friendly multimedia content to advance critical ideas and insights.
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Create original multimedia content to achieve mission and program objectives:
- Produce social media cards, infographics, animated slide shows, gifs, illustrations, podcasts, videos, webinars, and other visual/audio content to enhance Foundation communications.
- Make recommendations about creative content strategies to support overall Foundation priorities and activities.
- Collaborate closely with program teams to lead content creation relevant to specific program goals.
- Oversee development of multimedia micro-content to share the Foundation’s work, such as research reports, blog posts, staff events, grantee achievements, and organizational announcements, and special projects.
- Write engaging copy for a variety of digital formats, such as e-newsletters, web content, and social media posts.
- Edit blog posts, board book memos, and other copy for increased clarity.
- Oversee McKnight’s social media presence.
o Serve as a thoughtful steward of the voice of the Foundation in tone and purpose.
o Manage editorial content schedule for day-to-day institutional accounts.
o Monitor for conversations about McKnight or its grantees and engage as appropriate.
o Seize opportunities to repurpose and promote evergreen content as well as inject our ideas and stories to trending topics and other people’s conversations.
o Work in partnership with the digital engagement officer to develop and track paid
digital ad campaigns.
- Provide project management and administrative support to the team.
- Manage a digital photo library as the collection grows.
- Back up the Digital Engagement Officer on web maintenance and support other communications projects as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent analytical, writing, editing and visual storytelling skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Hootsuite, and other digital content creation platforms.
- Fluency and comfort with content creation for all the major social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn) plus an interest in emerging platforms.
- Ability to craft compelling and concise messages with a keen understanding of audience needs.
- Some background in message framing, cognitive research, and social media audience targeting a bonus.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work on multiple projects at once.
- Organization, time management, and strong problem-solving skills.
Required Education and Experience:
In addition to the above knowledge, skills, and abilities requirements, the ideal candidate for this position will also possess a Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience and training. Additionally, 5-7 years relevant professional work experience in multi-media journalism, content marketing, or digital communications strongly preferred.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Work is normally performed in an office work environment.
- Occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds is required.
- Bending, reaching, and lifting over head is required.
- Regular operation of normal office machines (computer, copier, and fax) is required.
- Occasional evenings and weekends are required.
- Some travel outside of office is required.
Apply via The McKnight Foundation website
Priority consideration will be given to candidates who submit materials by Dec. 5, 2017.
In your cover letter, please provide links to recent samples of your multi-media or social media work.