Founded in 1933, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota is the largest health plan in the state. We have more members, the largest network of providers and more products and services than any other plan in Minnesota. From the beginning, Blue Cross has been an innovator with a mission of making a healthy difference in people’s lives.
We understand the importance of finding a job that you truly enjoy — at a company that shares your values. We’ve made it easy to feel good about working at Blue Cross by encouraging volunteerism, valuing diversity and offering the flexibility you need to live a balanced life. We offer a suite of comprehensive medical and dental benefits as well as competitive pay, flexible work schedules and generous personal paid time off in addition to 20 hours of volunteer paid time off each year. We look forward to serving Minnesotans over the next 80 years and beyond. Join us and make a healthy difference through the work you do every day.
Description SummaryThis person provides support to the members of the Community Health and Health Equity Communications team, who’s primary focus is PR/communications support for Blue Cross and community organizations to implement policy, systems and environmental approaches to addressing health inequities, particularly as they relate to tobacco, healthy eating and physical activity.
This position requires experience working inter-culturally in a community setting to address public health issues, including strong interpersonal skills to manage multiple assignments while working closely with members of the community health and health equity team.
Responsibilities may include may include writing and editing of materials including web and blog content, public relations tactics, media releases, articles, videos, events, and other communications tactics.
The person will actively participate in team meetings and work collaboratively with other team members to help achieve organizational objectives and successfully carry out projects.
This person would be employed for a six-month period. The intern works full-time, approximately 35-40 hours/week.
- Assist with all aspects of Blue Cross’ community health and health equity work, including managing projects and strategic collaborative input with Blue Cross’ Community Health and Health Equity staff
- Assist in the development of materials for Blue Cross’ health equity campaign
- Research and write communication plans and articles for various employee communications vehicles
- Assist with events, photo shoots, video production, meetings and internal campaigns
- Complete other writing and project management duties as assigned.
- College student or recent college graduate
- Communications or related major
- 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale
- Demonstrated intercultural competency skills and experience working with diverse communities including comfort in discussing individual and systemic racism and its impact
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills for working with Blue Cross employees and community representatives
- Demonstrated skills in Microsoft Office, and a willingness to learn other software tools.
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent planning/organizational and project management skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Experience working on health equity issues that relate to healthy eating, physical activity/and/or tobacco desirable
- Work onsite during business hours
- Access to a car for metro area travel