All questions marked ‘Required’ need to be answered in order to submit the application. It is important that your application show all of the relevant education and experience you possess. Applications may be rejected if incomplete. If rejected, you must reapply for the position in order to be considered. An attached resume or curriculum via, a cover letter outlining your qualifications and interest in the position, contact information for 3 current, professional references, as well as copies of transcripts (if required) with each application.
|Job Title||Director of Communications|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
Position Summary Information
|Job Description Summary||The Director of Communications is
responsible for enhancing the University’s reputation locally and
nationally through public, media and external relations in addition to
internal and external communication and social media. Serving as the
chief communications professional, this role will shape and lead efforts
to promote and increase visibility for the University. The Director
will develop relevant strategies, relationships, and content that
reflect the mission, vision, and values of the University for maximum
This role is an excellent opportunity for someone who has management experience in PR and media relations and is looking to make a move to the next level in their career and/or someone who is looking to make a shift to a mission-based organization.
Applicants are required to upload one document that contains two different writing samples, written in the past three years. Please submit an article or feature story and press release or other communication statement.
|Representative Duties and Responsibilities||• Serve as chief communications professional for the university.
• Support Hamline and the President’s activity related to public agenda by engaging media opportunities and managing press interviews.
• Develop a comprehensive and strategic approach to strengthening relationships with, and enhance institutional reputation among, key external audiences such as donors, business groups, legislative contacts, the media and other strategic partners.
• Lead Hamline’s public relation strategy as it applies to strategic media, social media, video production, crisis communications, and other tactics.
• Work with marketing and enrollment staff, as well as partners throughout the university, to advance Hamline’s reputation, grow enrollment, and maintain a strong brand identity.
• Manage the external and internal communications team and oversee their progress and success.
• Develop strategic social media plans and multi-media programs, including storytelling initiatives that enhance the university’s brand reputation and ensure successful implementation by staff and faculty across a variety of communication channels.
• Provide communications guidance and consultation to faculty, staff and students in using traditional and social media effectively.
• Write news releases and media alerts; lead video content creation. Track and analyze success. Coordinate hometown news release program.
• Develop strategies and tactics for public relations issues and crisis situations. Work with university leadership to craft the university’s internal and public response and serve as spokesperson, where appropriate. Serve on the university’s Community Response Team and Risk Management Team. Send out timely alerts. Manage and maintain security communications protocol.
• Interact with key contacts to lead and coordinate major public communication initiatives, events, and opportunities that build university and community pride and connection, as well as enhanced institutional reputation, through public relations, internal and external communications, and special initiatives.
• Serve and oversee the team’s participation on a variety of external committees and lead efforts to advocate for university goals, objectives and needs to local, state and federal government.
• Implement and maintain a process, structure and flow for proactively collecting and disseminating internal communications.
• Maintain the news function of the Hamline University website, uploading stories and photos and managing the news flow. Serve as managing editor of Inside Hamline, the internal news vehicle for faculty, staff, and students. Maintain the newsroom website.
• Recruit, coach, and provide feedback and development opportunities to Communications team and interns.
• All other duties as requested
|Required Knowledge, Skills and abilities||• Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills, including news and promotional writing skills
• Proficient in AP writing style
• Ability to plan and produce all aspects of communications and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner
• Strong organizational skills; ability to organize self and team
• Ability to prioritize and work under pressure
• Strong relationships with local media
• Strong knowledge of social media channels, social engagement and measurement.
• Ability to work with a wide variety of people in a collaborative way
• Extensive experience in leading successful comprehensive communication initiatives
• Experience with crisis communications and sensitive issue management
• Experience in reputation development and management
• Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and develop a team
• Develop and manage departmental budget
• Excellent problem solving skills, including the ability to identify problems and opportunities, create and implement structures and frameworks that maximize organizational efficiency
• Proficiency using relevant software – Content Management System (CMS) such as Wordpress or Squarespace, Adobe Pro, Adobe Photoshop
|Minimum Education/Experience||• Bachelor’s Degree
• 7+ years of progressive and successful experience leading communications, public relations and social media efforts
• 3+ years of experience in crisis and sensitive communications
• 3+ years of experience managing direct reports
• 3 – 5 years of experience in AP writing style
• 1 – 2 years professional experience using a content management system (CMS), such as Wordpress or Squarespace
• Ability travel to on and off campus locations
• Ability to work evenings and weekends and be on-call 24/7 for crisis situations
|Preferred Education/Experience||• Bachelor’s degree in the areas of communication, public relations or journalism|
• Experience working in higher education or within a large, complex institution
• Established relationships with media institutions and individuals
• Experience working in government affairs and/or a strong knowledge of the political process
• Ability to shoot video proficiently on professional grade digital video camera and use FinalCutPro