Position Summary This position
supports all city departments and is responsible for leading city
communication and marketing efforts by ensuring timely distribution of
accurate, relevant information to residents, businesses, and employees.
Leads outreach and engagement efforts by developing public engagement
plans, key messages, and strategies engaging a broad group of
- Responsible for the management of communications-related projects.
- Develops communication plans; identifies objectives and timelines; involves appropriate stakeholders; monitors and adapts scope as appropriate.
- Creates and implements strategic communication plans for citywide initiatives.
- Tracks, reports, and evaluates communication efforts through qualitative and quantitative measures.
- Monitors city’s media coverage and provides regular media summaries to department directors and elected officials, and manages urgent issues or responses as needed.
- Provides communications-related counsel to directors and staff, proactively identifying internal and external communications issues and opportunities.
- Coordinates workloads with communications staff.
- Creates opportunities for community engagement.
- Engages the community on special projects which may have a broad impact and are designed to meet specific needs of the city.
- Establishes positive and welcoming environment for stakeholders while understanding the need to tell one’s story.
- Clarifies and simplifies complex information into an easily understandable and compelling message to tell the city’s story.
- Attends community meetings to hear concerns, provides information about community engagement, and advocates for participation.
- Facilitates community conversations to share and collect information/resources for planning and implementation of city strategies, initiatives and programs.
- Mobilizes stakeholders around common community goals in support of the collective impact approach to community results.
- Identifies potential community partners and builds lasting reciprocal relationships.
- Works closely with staff and consultants to identify and secure sponsorships and promotions. Ensures benefit fulfillment and maintains strong relationships with sponsor representatives.
- Oversees marketing tools used for communications, public relations, and general information.
- Manages social media accounts, content, engagement efforts, and opportunities.
- Prepares and distributes fact sheets, talking points, news releases, website articles, scripts, and or video that publicize the city’s message. Creates brochures; posters, flyers, advertisements, and other promotional material.
- Evaluates trends, resources, and industry information; recommends resource and technology upgrades; maximizes use of resources and technology.
- Develops staff communication through consultation, training, and assistance.
- Designs and executes social media campaigns.
- Provides communication assistance in the event of an emergency or disaster.
- Performs other essential job duties
- Regular and timely work attendance.
- Follows all safety procedures and participates in safety training.
- Responsible for supporting policies and procedures for communication functions.
- Attends internal and external meetings as needed or directed as a city representative.
- Maintains accurate records and prepares reports related to project activities.
- Knowledge of the English language including excellent spelling, grammar, punctuation, form and style skills.
- Demonstrated project and market research, analysis, and management.
- Skilled in the use of computer software programs.
- Skilled at coordinating project activities with multiple stakeholders.
- Sound presentation skills and demonstrated experience in the facilitation of meetings and workshops.
- Ability to establish and maintain a working relationship with elected officials, city staff, other public officials, the media, and public.
- Ability to identify program deficiencies and develop corrective action strategies in support of established goals.
- Ability to interpret, apply, and explain federal, state, and local laws, codes, regulations, departmental policies, and procedures.
- Ability to use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines.
- Ability to work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
- Ability to collaborate with a diverse team of communication representatives.
- Ability to lead complex projects from conception to completion.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or related field.
- Three (3) years of marketing/communications/PR experience including writing for internal and external audiences for full range of media, including print, web and social media.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Progressively responsible experience employed in local government.
- Public engagement experience.
- PR and media relations experience, creating and producing marketing material.
- Still photography and videography experience.