This position is responsible for all aspects of internal and external communications for the Weapon Systems-U.S. business, based in Minneapolis, as well as supervisor of communications for the Louisville, Aberdeen and Dayton sites. Responsibilities include providing communications advice and guidance to site leadership, developing and managing a communications budget, supporting and developing employee engagement communications for all WS US sites. Position also manages community investment budgets and activities across all of WS (including HQ), manages employee communications across all WS (including HQ) and develops and distributes printed and electronic communications deliverables to support company goals and strategies.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Maintains responsibility and authority for all aspects of internal and external communications and supports comms for community relations for Weapon Systems US. Also provides communications leadership and direction to the Minneapolis, Louisville, Dayton and Aberdeen sites. Coordinates activities closely with WS HQ.
- Serves as a member of the WS US Senior Leadership Team (SLT). Supports the SLT goals and objectives with appropriate level of resources. Major focus areas include safety, health and environment (SHE), leadership communication, community investment, and employee engagement.
- Acts as an official line of business spokesperson at resident and non-resident WS US sites, or works with alternate spokespersons at non-resident sites.
- Helps prepare, manage approval process and distribute press releases relating to WS US businesses.
- Fosters and maintains positive media relations for WS US.
- Directs the work of public relations consultants, contract photographers, and summer college interns, as required.
- Develops internal information strategies and campaigns in support of leadership goals and objectives using newsletters, Internet and intranet, e-mail, printed or electronic materials, and custom programs as needed.
- Writes and edits content for the P&S bi-monthly and Weapon Systems monthly employee newsletter. Acts as newsletter coordinator/editor for all Weapon Systems sites and content.
- Responsible for overall content and maintenance of both Weapon Systems intranet and site intranet.
- Supports sector and Inc. communications through various projects, writing and editing assignments as assigned.
- Manages corporate giving budget for WS US, and serves as a liaison between the community, the sites and site leadership. Manages corporate giving budget and community relations for Minneapolis, Louisville, Dayton, Aberdeen sites, and CI budget for WS HQ.
- Maintains a safe work environment and ensures compliance with safety objectives and policies.
- Shares responsibility of self-development with immediate supervisor.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, media or related discipline is required plus four years of relevant work experience
Communication leadership: Excellent written and oral communication, project management and interpersonal communication skills. Able to pitch ideas and proposals with confidence.
Ability to interface and work comfortably and effectively with employees at all levels of the organization – from the shop floor to senior leaders.
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and work on multiple projects with tight deadlines.
Ability to foster positive engagement in a diverse and widespread workforce including a non-computer-connected (non-office) type audience.
Demonstrated ability to write and produce content for multiple audiences/stakeholders.
Excellent editing and proofreading skills.
Working knowledge of AP Style.
Preferred Skills and Education
Master’s Degree and two years of relevant work experience.
Previous internal communications experience in a large corporate environment is preferred.
Prior experience in the defense industry and defense contracting is ideal.
Global business: Knowledge of international business culture and cultural nuances affecting communication is useful.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression