• B.A./B.S. degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Art or a B.A./B.S. degree Public Health, Public Policy, social sciences with strong writing, communication and design skill, or 4 years of combined equivalent education and experience
• Proficiency in using Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
• Demonstrated experience in creating effective presentations, data tables, and data displays
• Strong English oral and written communication skills, including Internet communication skills
• Experience in editing and proofreading
• Skilled in data visualization
• Experience or coursework in communications or graphic design
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail with a demonstrated ability to take initiative and plan ahead
• Interest in health care policy and data use
• Knowledge and experience in use of graphic design software packages such as Adobe Creative Suites or Tableau
• Coursework or knowledge of public health, health policy, or health care access issues
• Experience in data management, analysis, and spreadsheet programs such as Excel and Access
About the Job
The Division of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, seeks a Communications Associate to work at the State Health Access Data Assistance Center (SHADAC), a health policy research and technical assistance center located on the East Bank. The Communications Associate will provide professional communications work in the areas of writing, copy editing, basic website development, social media management, and print production. This work will support research related to state health policy, health care delivery and payment reforms, and program evaluation. This position will be an integral part of a collaborative research team whose members work independently and contribute at key decision points based on their training, role, and experience. This position is aimed at individuals with strong writing and formatting skills that are interested in learning about health care policy and the research and the data that support this policy.
This position will help translate and promote research findings through the development and execution of communication activities (e.g., social media content, issue briefs) that inform target audiences.
30% - Responsibilities will include many aspects related to the production of newsletters, blogs, infographics, briefs, and reports, such as writing and copy editing;
30% - layout and design work (both in Word and other programs); reviewing materials for copy and content and adding value related to style and clarity; assisting in the production of visual materials such as charts, diagrams, posters; etc.
30% - This position will also assist in the management of SHADAC’s social media and web presence (e.g., generating tweets, posting content to the SHADAC website).
10% - Finally, the position will have the opportunity to perform activities that support our research projects (e.g., interview notetaking, literature reviews, etc.) and will lead efforts to submit reports to funders that demonstrate progress.
SHADAC is a health policy research center located at the University of Minnesota School of Public Health. SHADAC is a multidisciplinary health policy research center with a focus on state policy. SHADAC is nationally recognized for its survey research, its work on measuring and monitoring health insurance coverage, and its translation of research to inform state and national health policy. Our staff members represent a broad range of expertise, ranging from economics, statistics, and evaluation to sociology and journalism. We are passionate about the importance of using sound data to inform policy decisions, and we work collaboratively with our clients to achieve results.
Pamela Suneson, firstname.lastname@example.org, Executive Office and Administrative Specialist. SHADAC, University of Minnesota.
The University of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
· Competitive wages, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave
· Low cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
· Health care and dependent daycare flexible spending accounts
· Excellent retirement plans with employer match
· Disability and employer paid life insurance
· Wellbeing program with reduced insurance premiums
· Tuition reimbursement opportunities covering 75%-100% of eligible tuition
· Student loan forgiveness opportunity
· Opportunities for growth and promotion
· Employee Assistance Program
For more information regarding benefits: https://humanresources.umn.edu/sites/humanresources.umn.edu/files/2018_tcd-cslr-75100-ben-0105-7.pdf
Thursday, July 12, 2018
University of Minnesota - Communications Associate
Posted by Ryan May | @MNPR