As the leader in sleep innovation, Sleep Number Corporation delivers the best quality sleep through effortless, adjustable comfort and biometric sleep tracking. Sleep Number’s proprietary SleepIQ® technology platform – one of the most comprehensive databases of biometric consumer sleep data – is proving the connection between sleep and wellbeing. With breakthrough innovations such as the revolutionary Sleep Number 360® smart bed, Sleep Number is redefining the future of sleep and shaping the future of health and wellness.
As we create the new category of smart sleep, we are poised for accelerated brand growth. The public relations senior manager will lead the design, development, and execution of breakthrough communications strategies and programs that amplify the Sleep Number brand and category-creating Sleep Number 360 smart bed, while enhancing and amplifying the company’s reputation and appeal for all stakeholders. The role will be responsible for consumer and product public relations to amplify memorable brand moments that build awareness, engage and empower brand advocates, strengthen corporate reputation, and grow brand love.
- Public Relations strategy: Responsible for the creation of proactive and reactive media relations strategies, building and growing relationships with national and local editors and reporters, and amplifying company priorities (e.g. product, consumer, and other major brand milestones) that drive Sleep Number brand break through. In particular, the role will focus on promoting awareness of our 360 smart bed and our proprietary SleepIQ technology platform.
- Agency management:Provide strategic direction and oversee public relations agency relationships and contractors to achieve public relations objectives efficiently and effectively.
- Executive positioning:Proactively identify opportunities for senior and functional leaders to engage in public and media relations that will drive brand breakthrough; support the design and execution of leadership positioning plans; coach leaders for impact.
- General communications:Lead communications projects managed in the department as appropriate, including research, analysis and planning. This also includes providing investor relations and legal communications support, as required, in conjunction with the Head of PR and Communications.
- Content design, creation, and management: Create public relations plans and materials to support simple and prioritized communications, including press releases, fact sheets, bylined articles, messaging documents, speeches and other communications materials.
- Relationship management:Manage relationships between department and other company functions to create prioritized communications for internal and external audiences.
- Degree in journalism, English, public relations or liberal arts preferred
- Minimum 10+ years experience performing the public relations and/or corporate communications role for a complex business in a rapidly changing environment or relevant agency experience
- Experience with direct-to-consumer brands, smart technology, and health/wellness strongly preferred
- Experience as a company spokesperson and executing media relations efforts
- Experience executing executive communications programs, including speechwriting, media and presentation coaching, and issues counseling
- Experience collaborating with finance, legal and human resources functions
- Exceptional written and spoken communications skills
- Deep knowledge of social media
- Ability to develop strategic communications to advance the goals and objectives of the organization
- Ability to build strong relationships with key constituencies: media, community, shareholders, employees
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Increases in brand love, brand awareness, company reputation, earned media value and quality placements