Fairview is seeking a multi-skilled, well-organized communications professional, who is a strong writer and storyteller using social media and media relations.
We’re looking for a rising star to join our Public Engagement team as a Communications Specialist. Fairview Health Services is the largest health system in Minnesota – with 12 hospitals, 55+ clinics, 40+ pharmacies, a large senior living division, an insurance division, and many specialty services. We’re expanding the Public Engagement team in our Communications department as our growing organization seeks to build relationships across the many communities we serve.
The team tells uplifting stories, provides helpful health information, and engages with patients, reporters and other community stakeholders. In this role, you’ll primarily be working on content creation, deployment, media relations and social media while helping in other areas as needed, including reputation management, research and project coordination.
You are adept at gauging news value and what captures people’s interest. You move on things quickly and thoughtfully, pride yourself on being a good researcher, and thrive on deadline. Your high level of curiosity and knack for asking meaningful questions helps you shape interesting stories. You are someone who values and demonstrates strong, clear, explanatory writing – making even the most complex information interesting and accessible. You have a strong eye for visuals, and perhaps a passion for photography or video, including photo editing.
You have social media experience and see social media as a way to share stories, build engagement, contribute to customer service and organizational reputation. You enjoy helping structure social media campaigns and working with and learning from social media data.
Along with your communications skills, you are a very collaborative person who enjoys being part of a team to help advance the organization. You bring good planning and organizational skills and enjoy helping keep multiple projects advancing.
You’ll get to work with and learn from seasoned experts in public relations, media relations and social media as well as a talented bunch of other colleagues in communications, marketing and creative services. Expect rewarding work, and a chance to grow and change with our growing and changing organization.
The Communications Specialist ensures exceptional execution of communication tactics that meet specific business needs and build relationships with internal and external stakeholders that advance our mission of healing, discovery and education. At the direction and oversight of other team members, Communications Specialists execute a wide variety of tactics, including web content, electronic newsletters, print newsletters, events, videos and interactive/social media. Communications Specialists must possess strong writing and editing skills for a variety of media, have basic photography and video experience, be comfortable interacting with individuals in diverse roles and many locations, enjoy event coordination, be passionate about capturing and sharing the Fairview brand experience, and be able to take work direction and feedback from multiple sources. The Communications Specialist works in collaboration with a variety of partners in communications, marketing, creative services and others across the organization.
- Gain insight of stakeholders, issues, communication trends and environmental considerations
- Develop strategies for internal/external communications and leverage key insights and functional expertise
- Create communications that achieve results
- Evaluate communication performance (effectiveness and efficiency)
- Produce content for electronic and print publication
- Create and update web content
- Conduct research that supports development f communications strategies and measurement reporting.
- Coordinate high-touch communication tactics like employee forums, leader rounding, community events
- Monitor effectiveness of all communication tactics and adjust approaches as needed
- Track expenses and ensure projects are within budget
- Develop and foster relationships with colleagues
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, organizational psychology or related field
- 3 years of experience in strategic/corporate communications, public affairs, human resources or related field
- Master’s degree
Other Required Skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Knowledge of Microsoft office suite, Internet authoring tools, desktop publishing tools
- Experience working in a highly diverse, 10,000+ employee organizations with multiple locations.