- Primary Objective
- The City of Bloomington is seeking an individual to assist with the planning, coordination and implementation of community outreach and engagement efforts on behalf of the City of Bloomington in order to empower stakeholder participation and investment.
- Examples of Duties
- Essential Functions of the Position
- Assists with the development and implementation of a broad range of strategies to engage community members, organizations, businesses and partners and empower their participation in the City's programs, activities and services, with a special emphasis on traditionally underserved or underrepresented populations.
- Ensures that underserved and underrepresented populations are considered, accounted for and hard in the development and delivery of City services.
- Helps plan and carry out special events in alignment with the City Council's strategic priorities to educate, raise awareness and bring the community together.
- Assists with creating, implementing and evaluating community engagement programs, activities, trainings and events. Plan and carry out programming sponsored by the Human Rights Commission.
- Collaborates with other City departments and divisions to help develop and execute their community engagement initiatives. Serves as an in-house advisor to connect and engage with community members.
- Recruits and works with volunteers to assist with special events, programs and activities throughout the City.
- Builds effective partnerships with governmental organizations and agencies, non-profits and community-based groups to help realize the City's outreach and engagement efforts.
- Assists with responding to routine inquiries about City activities, programs and services.
- Provides information and referral services to state, county and local non-profit organizations to residents and others contacting the City for resources. Helps other City departments connect community members to available services.
- Assists with the solicitation of donations and sponsorships to support community engagement activities.
- Provides assistance with training to enhance cultural and community competency with the City organization.
- Supports City departments and divisions with ADA compliance and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act compliance.
- Actively participates as a member of the Office of Engagement and Outreach work team to set facility priorities and meet overall City goals and objectives.
- Displays behavior that supports a positive and productive workplace culture based on respect, collaboration, equity, and accountability.
- Participates in trainings and conferences to increase knowledge of best practices in community engagement and outreach.
- Works flexible hours as needed to participate in evening and weekend meetings and events.
- Performs other duties as apparent or assigned.
- Minimum/Desirable Qualifications
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in public administration, communications, marketing, organizational leadership and development, social sciences, political science or related field.
- Experience recruiting and working with volunteers.
- One year of experience in program development and implementation.
- One year of experience in special event planning, implementation and promotion.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software programs.
- Ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours.
- Valid driver's license.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to manage own time and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work effectively with residents, staff, vendors and contractors.
- Master's degree in public administration, communications, marketing, organizational leadership and development, social sciences, political science or related field.
- Experience and training in leading facilitated meetings.
- Completion of a certified mediation training course.
- Work experience in implementing and administering Section 504 and ADA compliance requirements and other disability laws and regulations.
- Two years work experience in a city government entity.
- Experience in public speaking and presentations.
- Experience promoting programs and events on social media including Facebook, Twitter and Nextdoor.
- Fluency in a second language.
Supervision of Others
- Supplemental Information
- Full-time, benefits-eligible, non-union, exempt from overtime.
2018 Salary Range: $ 61,500 - $89,500
Tuesday, December 04, 2018
City of Bloomington - Community Outreach Coordinator
Posted by Ryan May | @MNPR